Sarah's wealth of experience includes:
- Fifteen years' people and organisation development consultancy with hundreds of voluntary, nonprofit and Third Sector organisations.
- Five years' youth services senior leadership development and training.
- Ten years' trustee governance training and development in youth and arts organisations as well as independent hospices.
- Key leadership and management role as Head of Division at De Montfort University, Leicester.
Head of Division, De Montfort University, Leicester, 2010-2014
Directly leading and managing 30 core and part-time higher education staff, who taught up to 600 undergraduate and postgraduate students each year. The role included membership of the School Executive of the School of Applied Social Sciences.
National Policy Manager, National Youth Agency, 2006 – 2010
This involved leading and managing the National Policy Team to ensure that the policy work of the National Youth Agency led national thinking and supported effective implementation of policy by statutory and voluntary youth organisations. The role included that of Specialist Youth Advisor to the Local Government Association.
Director of Programmes, FPM, 2000 - 2003
The Transforming Youth Work Management training programme was funded by the UK government to train 450 senior youth work managers across England.
As Director of Programmes at FPM Training, Sarah Hargreaves led the delivery of the Transforming Youth Work Management Programme commissioned by the Department for Education and Skills (DfES). This youth services leadership development project saw 450 senior managers of statutory and voluntary youth services across England attend an 8 day training programme.
The programme was evaluated for the DfES by The Youth Affairs Unit, De Montfort University in The Evaluation of the Transforming Youth Work Management Programme – Final Report (2004). The evaluation includes the initial impact of the first 18 courses of the programme:
"Almost three quarters of participants felt that their participation in the programme had contributed to a more effective youth service and four out of five were able to identify examples of lasting successful management change introduced as a consequence of the programme’. The report concluded ‘Such a national management development programme had never been offered before. It has been highly valued by participants and has equipped them with knowledge, skills and confidence to help them manage the youth service better." (2004:5)
Consultant in governance, strategic reviews and business planning
Sarah has delivered projects for numerous charities including hospices, arts organisations, youth organisations and Foundation Trusts. 1985 – 2000 and 2003 – 2006.
"Sarah Hargreaves undertook the role of Governance Consultant for Hospice UK, then Help the Hospices, over seven years and has again taken on this role in 2014. Her contribution included:
- Co-training on a 28 hour programme Partners in Success for Chairs and Chief Executives of hospices in a new working relationship
- Planning and facilitating tens of hospice board and senior staff away days with the outcome of a reviewed and developed strategy and development plan.
- Delivering an organisation structure review of Help the Hospices involving all levels of staff and the Board of Directors/Trustees.
I highly recommend Sarah for her:
- Ability to grasp quickly the approach, values and priorities of the organisation
- Ethical and transparent approach that gains trust from those involved
- Energy and warmth engaged in delivering the work
- Knowledge and expertise focused on working out possible ways forward
- Skills in facilitation, and her
- Attention to detail and commitment to keeping to time and to budget."
David Praill, Chief Executive, Hospice UK